Monday, August 12, 2013

A Day in the Cuillin Mountains on Skye and Airlift to Inverness. 9th Aug 2013

 The walk in from Sligachan to Glen Brittle, an easy attractive well worn path.

 First day of walk in to Sgurr Alisdair climb, an attractive waterfall on route.
 A well made path.
 Loch an Fhir-bhallaich with Isle of Rhum in background.
 The mist is rising. Rhum still visible.

 Looking up at the summit of Sgurr Alisdair 993m.
 The Great Stone Chute. Takes about an hour to get up as the rocks are unstable. Take care for broken ankles and falling rocks.
 Loch Coire Lagan at the bottom of the stone chute. Rhum still visible.
 At the top of Sgurr Alisdair I waited an hour for the mist to burn off. This was my first view looking south
 Matt, of Skye Adventures arriving from the south with two clients.

Looking back to Mat's group still on the summit of Sgurr Alisdair. 

This ridge in the middle distance was the next part of the ridge scramble. It looks and was dramatic but easy enough.

The route to the Innaccessible Pinnacle is partly hidden and that is where I fell about 5m while climbing down a vertical face. Why? I think because I'd had enough excitement for one day and rushed on the wrong way. I could see the easy path ahead to the In Pin and was in a rush to get there. I landed on my feet, blood spurting from my head and called, 'Help'. A group at the In Pin heard me and we could shout to each other. They called the mountain rescue. 5 minutes later I heard heavy breathing and Mat, the guide I'd met on Sgurr Alisdair arrived. He'd also heard my cry and must have almost run across. He'd also phoned mountain rescue and now administered first aid until the team led by Gerry Akroyd arrived. I was soon on a streacher so well wrapped I was stewing. A lady rescuer removed her top and fanned me, lovely. A new Sigorsky coastgard helicopter was also on the scene but had first to deal with an older man who was exhausted. Swinging through the air above the Cuillin was something I'll never forget. I was flown to Raigmore hospital in Inverness where I had excellent treatment for two broken fibula and a small fracture of my neck.. My plasters will be removed at the end of August.

The picture is of a previous Sea King helicopter rescue by the team. The route picture is from


Post a Comment

<< Home